Am I due a tax rebate?

Aske Buemann

CEO & Co-founder

If you've paid more tax than you owe, you may be entitled to a tax rebate, also known as a tax refund.

A tax rebate can arise from various sources, such as overpaid income tax, capital gains tax, or pension contributions. If you're unsure whether you're due a tax rebate or not, it's worth checking, as you could be missing out on hundreds or even thousands of pounds.

In this blog post, we'll explain how to determine whether you're due a tax rebate and how to claim it. We'll also cover some common questions and issues related to tax rebates.

How to Check If You're Due a Tax Rebate

The first step to finding out whether you're due a tax rebate is to review your tax records and payslips. You should check for any discrepancies or errors that may have resulted in overpaying tax. For example, you may have started a new job or stopped working partway through the tax year, or you may have been taxed at a higher rate than you should have been.

If you're not sure how to read your payslips or tax codes, you can use online tools such as or the HMRC tax calculator. These tools can help you estimate your tax liability and identify any overpayments.

Another way to check if you're due a tax rebate is to review your financial transactions and investment activities. For example, if you sold a property or a stock for a profit, you may owe capital gains tax, but you may also be eligible for tax reliefs or exemptions that can reduce your tax bill. Similarly, if you made contributions to a personal pension plan, you may be able to claim tax relief on those payments.

If you're still unsure whether you're due a tax rebate or not, you can contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) directly or get help from

How to Claim Your Tax Rebate

If you've confirmed that you're due a tax rebate, the next step is to claim it. The process of claiming a tax rebate depends on the nature and source of your overpayment. Here are some general guidelines:

  • If you overpaid income tax, you can claim a refund yourself online using the service or by filling in a form P50 or P53. You'll need to provide details of your employment, income, and tax payments for the relevant tax year. You should also notify HMRC if your circumstances have changed, such as if you've started a new job or become self-employed. Or you can get help at
  • If you overpaid capital gains tax, you can claim a refund by submitting a self-assessment tax return. You'll need to include details of your gains, losses, and reliefs for the relevant tax year. You should also keep records of your transactions and receipts in case HMRC asks for evidence.
  • If you overpaid pension contributions, you can claim tax relief by contacting your pension provider or HMRC. You'll need to provide evidence of your contributions and the tax relief you're entitled to. Note that there are limits on how much you can contribute to a pension scheme and how much tax relief you can claim.

Check if you are due a tax refund in just 15 min.

In TaxHelper, we help you find the tax refunds you are entitled to. You just answer simple questions that only take 15 min. to go through.

Afterwards, we report the tax refunds and you get an extra £308 paid out on average. And you only pay if you get a tax refund.

Start here

start idag