Have you had any other work-related expenses?

Aske Buemann

CEO & Co-founder

Work related expenses

You may be eligible for tax deductions on various work-related expenses.

While most people are familiar with claiming deductions for business expenses, such as travel or office supplies, there is arange of smaller equipment and other work-related costs that you might not be aware of.

1. Understanding Tax Deductions

Tax deductions, also known as allowable expenses, are costs incurred during the course of your work that can be subtracted from your taxable income, reducing the amount of tax you pay.

To claim these deductions, you need to provide evidence and demonstrate that the expenses are genuinely work-related.

2. Smaller Equipment Expenses

Apart from the obvious larger purchases, such as computers or specialized tools, there are several smaller equipment expenses that may be eligible for tax deductions.

These may include:

a) Protective Clothing: If your work requires specific protective clothing or uniforms, the cost of purchasing, cleaning, and maintaining them can typically be claimed as a tax deduction. This could include items such as safety boots, hard hats, or high-visibility clothing.

b) Tools and Equipment: Whether you're a photographer, writer, or artist, the cost of purchasing small tools, equipment, and supplies necessary for your work may be deductible.

Examples could include camera lenses, pens, brushes, or software subscriptions.

c) Office Supplies: Even though office supplies may seem like a standard business expense, it's important to remember that as a private individual, you can also claim deductions for items like printer ink, stationery, and postage costs if they are directly related to your work.

3. Professional Development and Subscriptions

If you invest in your professional development by attending seminars, workshops, or conferences, the associated costs may be eligible for tax deductions.

Additionally, membership fees for subscriptions to industry-specific magazines or journals can also be claimed.

4. Travel and Mileage

If your work involves travel, whether it's visiting clients or attending meetings, you can usually claim expenses for transportation, accommodation, meals, and parking.

If you use your personal vehicle for work-related travel, you may also be able to claim mileage expenses. However, it's important to keep accurate records and follow the guidelines set by HMRC.

You have the opportunity to optimize your tax situation by exploring the full range of work-related expenses you can claim as deductions. From smaller equipment purchases to home office expenses, professional development costs, and travel-related expenses, it's crucial to maintain accurate records and consult with tax professionals or HMRC guidelines to ensure you're claiming deductions correctly.

Check if you are due a tax refund in just 15 min.

In TaxHelper, we help you find the tax refunds you are entitled to. You just answer simple questions that only take 15 min. to go through.

Afterwards, we report the tax refunds and you get an extra £308 paid out on average. And you only pay if you get a tax refund.

Start here

start idag