Maximizing Your Tax Benefits through Marriage Allowance

Aske Buemann

CEO & Co-founder

Marriage Allowance simplified

Marriage Allowance is a tax scheme in the UK that allows a lower earning spouse or civil partner to transfer some of their unused tax-free personal allowance to their higher earning partner. This can result in a tax reduction of up to £250 per year for the recipient partner. If you’re eligible for Marriage Allowance, it’s important to take advantage of it and claim a tax refund.

To be eligible for Marriage Allowance, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be married or in a civil partnership
  • You must be a basic rate taxpayer
  • Your partner must be a higher rate or additional rate taxpayer
  • You must have an income of less than the tax-free personal allowance (£12,570 for the 2021-2022 tax year)

If you meet these criteria, you can apply for Marriage Allowance. The process is simple and straightforward and you can do it online for example at Once you’ve registered, the allowance will be automatically deducted from your partner’s taxable income.

It’s important to note that Marriage Allowance is not just a one-time tax break. You can claim the allowance every year that you are eligible, and it can add up to significant savings over time. In addition, if you’ve missed out on the allowance in previous tax years, you can still backdate your claim and receive a tax rebate for up to the past 4 years.

In conclusion, Marriage Allowance is a valuable tax benefit for eligible couples in the UK. By transferring some of the unused personal allowance, couples can reduce their tax bill and enjoy a tax-free boost to their income. Don’t miss out on this opportunity and claim your tax refund today.

Check if you are due a tax refund in just 15 min.

In TaxHelper, we help you find the tax refunds you are entitled to. You just answer simple questions that only take 15 min. to go through.

Afterwards, we report the tax refunds and you get an extra £308 paid out on average. And you only pay if you get a tax refund.

Start here

start idag