What to do if your tax rebate claim is rejected

Aske Buemann

CEO & Co-founder

Tips and advice on how to appeal a tax rebate rejection

If you have overpaid tax, you may be entitled to claim a tax rebate, also known as tax refund or tax back. This could happen if you have changed jobs, stopped working, or paid too much tax on your income, pension, savings, or expenses. However, if your tax rebate claim is rejected by HMRCt, you may wonder what to do next.

In this blog post, we will provide some tips and advice on how to appeal a tax rebate rejection

  1. Check the reasons for rejection

The first step when your tax rebate claim is rejected is to find out why. HMRC may have sent you a letter or an email explaining the grounds for refusal, such as:

  • Your claim was incomplete or inaccurate
  • You did not provide enough evidence or documentation
  • You missed the deadline for claiming
  • You are not eligible for a tax rebate
  • You owe money to HMRC for other taxes or debts

Depending on the reason, you may be able to address the issue and resubmit your claim, or you may need to take further action.

  1. Gather more information and evidence

If you think that your tax rebate claim was rejected unfairly or mistakenly, you may need to gather more information and evidence to support your case. This could include:

  • Payslips, P45, P60, or other employment records
  • Receipts or invoices for work-related expenses
  • Bank statements or dividend vouchers for investment income
  • Rental or property records for landlords
  • Medical certificates or receipts for healthcare expenses
  • Charity receipts or gift aid declarations for donations

You may also need to provide a more detailed explanation of why you believe you are entitled to a tax rebate and how you calculated the amount you claimed. Be prepared to answer questions from HMRC and provide more evidence if requested.

  1. Appeal the decision

If you are not satisfied with the reasons for rejection or the evidence provided, you may need to appeal the decision. You can do this by writing a formal letter to HMRC explaining why you think their decision is wrong or unfair. The letter should include:

  • Your full name, address, and tax reference number
  • The date and details of the original claim
  • The reasons for your appeal and the evidence you have
  • The outcome you expect or the relief you seek

You may also want to seek professional advice for example from TaxHelper.io

  1. Wait for the outcome and act accordingly

Once you have appealed, you will need to wait for HMRC to review your case and make a new decision. This may take several weeks or months, depending on the complexity of your claim and the workload of HMRC. If your appeal is successful, you should receive your tax rebate plus any interest or compensation owed to you.

Check if you are due a tax refund in just 15 min.

In TaxHelper, we help you find the tax refunds you are entitled to. You just answer simple questions that only take 15 min. to go through.

Afterwards, we report the tax refunds and you get an extra £308 paid out on average. And you only pay if you get a tax refund.

Start here

start idag